SiOO:X is a penetrant. To achieve the best performance it needs to be able to penetrate the timber substrate to a sufficient depth.
There are good practices that need to be adhered to including:
- A sawn surface finish should be chosen wherever possible as this opens the surface so that the maximum penetration of the SiOO:X products into the timber occurs by surface coating.
- Planed dressed surfaces should not be used as the smooth glazed surface resists penetration. If the timber is supplied in a dressed form it must be sanded with no finer sanding paper than a 60 grit grade.
- All sharp board edges and sill edges should be removed.
- The timber should be kiln-dried to a preferable 16% moisture content.
- The SiOO:X treatment should be factory applied by a Sioo approved distributor/coater in factory controlled conditions.
- The treatment should be applied to all timber surfaces, the back and front, and all timber edges.
SiOO:X Premium Wood Protector (also the light-grey and mid-grey products):
First treatment coat 6 – 8 m2 per litre
Second treatment coat 10 – 12 m2 per litre
SiOO:X Premium Surface Protector (also the light grey and mid-grey products):
Final coat 8 – 12 m2 per litre
N.B Consumption of the treatment fluid varies depending on the type of wood, surface structure, moisture content, and age. The thermo wood is penetrated by the treatment extremely well at rates up to 50% more than the above.